This special panel discussion featured as part of the 2019 Sustainable Living Festival in central Melbourne. Hundreds of people attended live. Let's spread it further!
“Today in the United States of America I operate in a capitalist system, so I have to do two things at once: try to tear stuff down and build up something new in the process” - Devita Davidson
There’s a new story inspiring a global movement for positive change. It’s all about re-inhabiting the commons and sharing. Listen in to this special festival panel and hear how communities are re-activating neighbourhoods, co-designing, growing food commons, working and living together, and addressing the big questions with powerful local responses. In other words, how they’re transitioning to a new economy.
- MC'd by the awesome Costa Georgiadis - permaculture, compost and community garden advocate.
- Helena Norberg-Hodge, of Local Futures, author of Ancient Futures and the film The Economics of Happiness, was unable to attend, but her colleague Henry Coleman stepped in to discuss the backstory of the global industrial food system.
- Dr Nick Rose, Sustain Australia and editor of the recent book Reclaiming The Urban Commons discusses the recommoning and delocalisation of our food system.
- Devita Davidson, Food Lab Detroit, explores re-activating decaying urban neighbourhoods through local food enterprises.
- Morag Gamble of Our Permaculture Life and Permaculture Education Institute explored permaculture and ecovillage recommoning projects and the role of citizen design.
- David Holmgren, permaculture co-originator, talks about a bushland restoration project in his local commons.
The panel was organised by Morag Gamble and hosted by the Sustainable Living Festival 2019.
Thanks to all the panel members and MC who kindly volunteered their time to participate so generously. Thanks to the incredible team who organised the 2019 Sustainable Living Festival in Melbourne at Birrarung Marr. Thanks to Gregor Gamble and his daughter, Rhiannon Gamble, who filmed and edited this event for us to share widely.