Our 2017 'Building a new economy for Australia conference' is being held from Friday 1st to Sunday 3rd September 2017, South Bank, Brisbane. We also have some fantastic 'side events' on offer for conference delegates.
To book your place at any of these side events, please click here for ONE convenient booking page:
- Thursday night, 31st August - public lecture - 'How do we change the world?' at Queensland University of Technology
- Cost: Free
- Registration is required - please secure your booking by clicking here by August 28
- Welcome drinks from 5:15pm and the Panel commences at 6pm
- Friday night, 1st September, 6pm - dinner for conference delegates - PLEASE BOOK FOR THIS EVENT. Dinner hosted at 'Muooz Restaurant', an African not-for-profit social enterprise in West End.
- Cost: $30
- Vegetarian Buffet Dinner
- Start and finish times: please arrive by 6pm for a 6.30pm start. We expect to finish around 8.30pm
- Conference Dinner Speaker: Ms Jo Nemeth, "My Life Without Money"
- Saturday night, 2nd September, from 5.30pm - PLEASE BOOK FOR THIS EVENT.
Site Visit and Dinner at Food Connect, together with the Brisbane Launch of ORIcoop
- Cost: $70
- Start and finish times: registered participants will be picked up from QCA Lecture Theatre, South Bank, by charter bus and/or car share at 5.30pm and dropped back to the same place by 9pm Saturday night.
- Sunday night, 3rd September, from 4pm - wind-down drinks after the conference, in South Bank - details will be provided, bookings are not required.
- Monday 4th September - Day Trip to Stradbroke - PLEASE BOOK FOR THIS EVENT.
Day Trip to beautiful Stradbroke Island, in partnership with the Quandamooka First Nations Peoples and Quandamooka Yoolooburrabee Aboriginal Corporation, QYAC. Participants will be invited to join a Cultural Walk and Smoking Ceremony, followed by a discussion with Quandamooka representatives about their work building indigenous businesses.
- Cost: $80
- What to bring/wear: please dress comfortably, for a gentle stroll - you may wish to bring a hat, water, food/snacks
- Agenda for the day:
- 7.30am registered participants picked up from South Bank (pick up point to be advised)
- participants driven to Cleveland Ferry Terminal, where we'll catch a ferry to Dunwich, a small town on Stradbroke Island
- 10am Smoking Ceremony and Cultural Walk - (1.5 hours long)
- 12.00-1pm Lunch can be purchased in Dunwich; short talk by Quandamooka representative, about the indigenous businesses on the island and the economic transition plan for Stradbroke Island
- Public transport (bus) across the island to beautiful Point Lookout, to see what we can see (hopefully whales)
- Return to Dunwich for Ferry by 3.30
- Aim to arrive back at Cleveland by 4.30, and back to South Bank by 5.30
- Monday 4th September - 10am to 12noon- PLEASE BOOK FOR THIS EVENT.
"UCS - a union cooperative reimagined", Site visit and a brief presentation on the 50-year history of the UCS and its plans to redevelop its Paddington property into a co-operative owned and operated, ESD&R designed 'green building' and social enterprise complex.
- Cost: free
- Start and end time - please arrive by 9.45am for a 10am start; finishes at 12noon
- Transport - Participants will need to find their own way to the venue: BWCC (Brisbane workers community centre), 2 Latrobe Terrace - enter from Given Terrace, Paddington
- Please note: There is limited parking on site and in Paddington. The venue is on a bus corridor. Catch a 375 to Stop 8, Latrobe Tce. It is also a comfortable walk from Roma St.